U.S. government employees are covered by the Federal Employee Compensation Act (FECA) in the event they are injured at work. Although federal workers’ compensation is similar in some ways to state workers’ compensation, which protects employees of private businesses, there are some distinct differences between these two systems, and people seeking federal workers’ compensation benefits may have far more steps and forms to complete in order to obtain FECA benefits.

Given the complexities that can arise with FECA claims, people filing for these federal workers’ compensation benefits should work with one of the Colorado Springs Workers’ Compensation Lawyers with Shakeshaft-Gorman Law Firm, LLP to facilitate their claims and ensure they are able to secure the full amount of benefits to which they are entitled.

FECA Claims: Overview & Eligibility

For help filing FECA claims and obtaining federal workers’ compensation benefits, contact Kenneth Shakeshaft. He has the experience you can rely on to obtain the benefits you deserve.

For help filing FECA claims and obtaining federal workers’ compensation benefits, contact Kenneth Shakeshaft. He has the experience you can rely on to obtain the benefits you deserve.

When it comes to filing for federal workers’ compensation under FECA, here are some basic facts that people should be aware of:

  • FECA is the only remedy for injured government workers, and these workers cannot sue the government for compensation for a work-related injury (if, however, an injury has been caused by a third-party contractor, it may be possible to sue this entity for compensation).
  • Non-military government employees, including probationary workers, temporary workers and seasonal employees, are protected by FECA. Some volunteers, contractors and even non-citizen federal employees may also be covered by FECA.
  • Only injuries sustained in the course of working can be covered by FECA.
  • The Division of Federal Employees’ Compensation (which is a part of the U.S. Department of Labor’s Office of Workers’ Compensation Programs) handles FECA claims.

Filing FECA Claims

When federal employees have sustained a work injury or have been diagnosed with an occupation illness, they are required to:

  • Complete an notice of injury form (or a notice of occupational illness).
  • Submit this form to their supervisor either within 30 days of sustaining the injury or as soon as possible after being diagnosed with the occupational illness.

At this point federal employees may be able to do one of the following:

  • Request continuation of pay (this is not typically an option for occupational illnesses).
  • Use sick time or vacation time.
  • Take a non-paid leave of absence.

It’s important to point out that there may be additional options and that pursuing any option for obtaining benefits under FECA will require diligence and follow-through at every stage of this complext process. This is when having an experienced FECA attorney with Shakeshaft-Gorman Law Firm, LLP on your side can be invaluable to helping you obtain benefits so you can focus on your recovery.

Colorado Springs Workers’ Compensation Lawyer at Shakeshaft-Gorman Law Firm, LLP

Are you a federal employee who needs assistance with a FECA claim? If so, the Colorado Springs Workers’ Compensation Attorneys at Shakeshaft-Gorman Law Firm, LLP are ready to advocate your rights and help you obtain the full amount of benefits to which you are entitled. Since 1982, Shakeshaft-Gorman Law Firm, LLP has been committed to helping injured people, providing them with superior legal service and aggressively standing up to insurance companies, large corporations and/or government entities on their behalf.

The bottom line is that, after a workplace injury, we will be here for you and will work tirelessly to help you secure the maximum possible benefits for your losses and injuries.

Contact Us Today

You can schedule a free initial consultation to receive professional advice about your case by calling (719) 635-5886 or (800) 383-5886. You can also email us using the contact form on this page. We don’t get paid unless or until you get paid, so you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by contacting us today.

From our offices in Colorado Springs, we serve people throughout Colorado, including people in the Denver metro area, El Paso County, the Pike’s Peak Region, Colorado Springs, Pueblo, Castle Rock, Fort Collins, Highlands Ranch, Littleton, and Grand Junction.